Wednesday 15 July 2015

The Best of Resort 16 - Part 1

As my job involves producing trends reports and runway reviews for design teams to work from, I have been super busy the past few weeks putting together Resort 16 trend boards and colour stories. I  evaluate all the collections and decide which are the key themes that I believe will filter down to the high-street. I consider which trends are the most commercial and the consumer will want to buy into. I often have to put my personal opinions to one side, thinking about the mass consumer market and not what I would personally wear, like or dislike.
However, on my blog I have free reign to document my favourite collections. Like I have done in the past I am going to summarise the season and write a little bit about why I like the chosen collections.
Christian Dior 
The textured prints and organic forms of the crochet dresses and skirts are coming through as a key emerging trend for Resort 16. This whole collection boasted confidence whilst remaining playful.
Louis Vuitton
The first show of the season took place back in May in Palm Springs. The silhouettes were different to what we have seen Ghesquiere show the past couple of seasons. Maxi skirts and full length dresses in laser cut leather were standout with a masculine edge.
Gucci
Nods to the 60's and 70's in the choice of silhouette, print and colour. We also saw a real mix of texture: fur, lamé, suede, leather crochet and embroidery.
Roksanda
Always showcasing collections with a statement colour palette, this season was no different. I adore the 'cut paper' geo prints, making a bold statement on evening gowns. The pink fabric origami was a real favourite of mine, as was the black leather bustier dress.
Alexander McQueen
Romance and beauty were clear to see, but with quintessential McQueen undercurrents. Leather dresses cross-stitched like a Victorian sampler and of course there was volume on some of the skirts.
Stella McCartney
An energising collection, with inspiration from Cuba. What I loved the most were the prints, some of the most memorable from the season. Large scale blooms marked a stark contrast against the delicate single stem florals - both equally as beautiful. The horse print was also a key look and one I am predicting we will be a popular theme for Resort.
Mary Katrantzou
Op art of the 1960s was one of the main inspirations. The prints made a statement but were nothing new, but I loved the injection of vibrant colour. It was a more commercial and wearable collection than we have seen in some recent seasons. The rainbow pleats were my favourite aspect of the collection.
Erdem
I honestly can't recall a Erdem collection that I have not loved. Dark florals, Victoriana lace necklines and bold embroidery, it was all present in this collection. Erdem always strikes the perfect balance between femininity and drama.
Roberto Cavalli
Exotic nature and signature 70s vibes. The large scale graphic palms are going to be huge trend for Resort 16, especially in black and white. Billowing silhouettes are very Cavalli and this season I particularly liked the feather placement on the shocking pink ground.
Valentino
This collection had no less than 82 looks. Ranging from delicate patchwork florals to symmetrical embroidered folk motifs, it was a broad array of signature Valentino styles. Day looks and evening wear, this collection will translate very well from the sidewalk to the red carpet.
Stay tuned to my blog because I will be posting Part 2 of my review later this week.
Don't forget to follow my 'Lookbook Favourites' and 'Runway Favourite' boards on my Pinterest page. I update them both daily will all the latest seasonal collections. See details below.

Phillippa x
Twitter - Phillippa22
Pinterest - phillippadesign
Instagram - PhillippaDesign22


No comments:

Post a Comment