Saturday 14 March 2015

Savage Beauty - Exhibition Review

I recently became a member of the Victoria and Albert Museum, and decided to take full advantage by attending the Alexander McQueen 'Savage Beauty' exhibition on the day it opened without needing to buy a ticket. The exhibition was everything I could have wished for and more. A truly stunning display of the greatest collections by the genius Alexander McQueen.
The first McQueen collection I ever saw was Spring 2005, and I've been a fan ever since. Being able to see the clothes that cemented in my mind that I wanted to pursue a career in fashion was just amazing. Seeing the craftsmanship of the garments close up you do truly appreciate just how revolutionary McQueen's take on fashion was.
Each room of the exhibition has a different theme, starting with McQueen's work for Givenchy and ending with his final full collection before his death, Spring 2010, Plato's Atlantis...my personal favourite collection. My favourite room was the 'Cabinet of Curiosities', which I believe is considerably larger than when the exhibition was at the MET in New York.
Highlights of the exhibition included 'that' dress worn by Shalom Harlow during the Spring 1999 runway show, the mirrored box from the 2001 'Voss' show and a hauntingly beautiful hologram of Kate Moss. I also loved the video's from the runway shows playing throughout the exhibition, putting the designers work into context of their themes. I also recommend that you read all the quotes written on the wall, some of them are very poignant.
The whole exhibition really does explore the evolution of McQueen's work and the setting was appropriately theatrical. The exhibition above and beyond exceeded my expectations and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Prepare to be overwhelmed by how breath-taking this exhibition is! Savage Beauty runs until August 2nd.
Phillippa x
 
I just want to point out that these images are not my own, photography was not permitted in the exhibition. Photo Credit to Vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment