Monday 17 December 2012

New York - Antiques and Handmade

If you are looking for bargain antiques then you should head to one of NYC's weekly flea markets. In Manhattan you should check out the 'Chelsea Antiques Garage' on 25th St between 6th and 7th Avenue. This 2 storey car park becomes a bustling antique market on the weekend, with vendors selling everything from furniture to vintage silk scarves. After exploring this venue you should walk one block over to the outdoor market, here you will find similar antique items. Also located in Chelsea is 'Olde Good Things' on 24th Street between 6th and 7th. This warehouse style building is on 2 floors and you can expect to find large pieces of furniture, old doors and light fittings. This shop also has 2 other locations in New York City aswell one in Los Angeles.
Some of the best antiques I found were in Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Take the subway over to Bedford Avenue and from here you can walk to the flea market. I found prices to be considerably lower than what I would expect to pay for antiques in the UK. I fell in love with a very affordable old metal letter 'P', but there was no way this would fit in either of my suitcases so I didn't buy it. I have been looking for one of these in the UK for such a long time but they are so expensive here. Vendors also sell lovely food so you won't go hungry and on the day I visited there was a great Christmas craft market aswell.
Back in Manhattan I found 'Let There Be Neon' located on White Street in Soho. This company produces made to order neon signs, which I love!!! They have worked with the likes of: Christian Louboutin, Kiehls and Vince Camuto, producing in store display signs, aswell as working with Victoria Secrets to produce neon angel wings.
Obscura is an Antique and Oddity shop on Avenue A/13th Street. This antique shop is not for the faint hearted, expect to find: taxidermy, skeletons and mummified heads...yes really!!! The owners of this shop also have their own television show called 'Oddities' which is on the Discovery Channel.
If want handmade jewellery, clothes and other goods then be sure to visit the 'The Market NYC'- 159 Bleecker Street, Greenwich Village. Local designers and artists can hire a space within the venue to sell their products - a fantastic idea and an alternative New York shopping experience.
I hope you have liked my selection of antique shops in New York. Hopefully you will get the chance to visit them yourselves. In my next blog post I will be taking a look at street art and galleries in New York. Phillippa x

No comments:

Post a Comment